Stats

Copyright  ©

 Custom made slide camper.. All rights reserved.

19/10/2013

We had our first nice sunny day in ages so after catching up with the weeding and lawn mowing I masked up the door and gave it its first coat of paint.


23/10/2013
Started  on the Gas bottle enclosure, making it out of an off cut of an Dibond knockoff I picked up from the Hobart tip shop, this stuff is expensive new.It's very easy to work with, scribe both sides then snap to cut, to get a very tidy bend you just router one side down to within 2 mm of the other side and bend by hand.Will be using the first screen door I purchased to make a door for it, it will also have a 50 mm diameter hole in the bottom to let any gas leaks escape safely out of the camper as per Australian regulations.


01/11/2013
Finished the gas enclosure will make the door for it when I've made a final decision on the outside cladding.Started on the sides , windows across different brands have standard sizes so even though I don't have them yet I've chosen the size I prefer and will order new windows later.


05/11/2013

Weather warmed up so finished off the two sides , as you can see above you make up one side then you make the other directly on top, doing it this way ensures that both have identical external dimensions.

Next step is to glue the internal walls onto the frames , first the top of course and then you pry the whole lot off the floor flip it over and line the other side.

Then the fun begins prying the two sides apart hoping that the glue hasn't got somewhere it shouldn't have.

I must admit I'm not keen on the corrugated fasteners most go in ok but no matter how hard you try every now and then BUGGER!!.


06/11/2013

I'm using 3mm skin for the internal walls however the  plans call for 4.5mm though I'm confident once the walls have the insulation glued in place and then the Dibond on the outside also glued on it will be a very sturdy structure.

Really getting to dislike the corrugated nails even more had to use a grinder to just shave a few of them down a bit as a few of then insisted on poking up even after a swift hit with a hammer , their only 13mm deep so I'm not sure what the problem was, a quick sand afterwards then a wipe down left a nice clean level structure to glue the panels onto.

Had some issues with the glue getting sucked into the pine and drying up too quick so I made a 1 to 4 glue and water mixture to seal the timber brushed it on and left it for an hour.

That made all the difference the full strength glue when applied on top  stayed wet long enough for me to place the sheets on and weigh them down, I'm using mostly just the glue to hold the internal sheets on for now.

I'm also planning to seal the entire external structure before the insulation and sides go on, I don't expect any moisture issues but this will just be a little bit of extra insurance.

My trusty router makes short work of the plywood and as can be seen above makes beautiful clean and very quick cuts, my router is also smallish so I should be able to use it for almost all the cuts required for the entire job ( other than the 12mm floor and wings of course)and not have to deal with frayed and splintering plywood.

construction 2